Thursday, October 24, 2013

It's a long way from "a" to "b"

My illustration for the February 2014 Celebration cover is meant to convey the many layers of meaning in the scriptures available to homilists.

Though this illustration is unabashedly digital, I did start with sketching (as you can see). Then I cut the basic shapes out of plastic with a knife, also by hand. At that point I scanned them to my computer, added color and manipulated them in Photoshop.

It took me just as long to come up with little sketch "a" as to execute the final. I spent the better part of a day filling sheets and sheets of paper with dozens of these roughs. I chose three and shared them with the editor and the author. We agreed this concept had the most promise and best illustrated the themes of the cover article. Quite often coming up with a compelling idea is the hardest part.



No comments:

Post a Comment